In listening to your latest work I am reminded of, among the myriad ways I count myself privileged, this might be the greatest I enjoy; the ability to destroy time and space to the point where all that remains is an honest and beautiful conversation between two old friends. I remember when we first listened to this song together over two years ago. You told me that I needed to pair down and decide for myself what was essential. At the time I can’t imagine you considered it more than aesthetic advice for a cluttered timbre, but I took that to heart. My contribution to this collaboration is simple. Simple melodies, simple words of mine and of those I carry with me, and simple feelings deeply felt. I don’t presume to speculate what you feel that you bring to these songs, but with your presence in them they are, in a word, whole.
Beyond the secret longings that we have for acclaim and recognition, beyond the minutiae of the labor and the damage it can do our souls, beyond everything else, I hope we can always remember that this, in and of itself, is all that matters: an honest and beautiful conversation between two old friends. A conversation about fear, desire, longing, hope, grief, and despite or because of all of this, immutable joy.
released December 19, 2016
Album art by Stephanie Monohan (stephaniemonohan.com
1. Old Food: Original Lyrics and Music by Elder Friends.
2. Babies: Bon Iver Composition reinterpreted by Elder Friends.
3. Run: Original Lyrics and Music by Elder Friends.
4. Twinkle Twinkle Little Star: Traditional Composition reinterpreted by Elder Friends.
5. The World Doesn't End: Musical Setting of Poem by Charles Simic composed by Elder Friends.
6. The Inevitability of Death and Other Songs: Original Lyrics and Music by Elder Friends. Harmonica by Phillip Codrey.
7. House: Original Lyrics and Music by Elder Friends
8. Instructions on How to Dissect a Ground Owl: Musical Setting of Poem by Julio Cortázar composed by Christine Fellows reinterpreted by Elder Friends.
9. I'm Wilted Summertime: Original Lyrics and Music by Elder Friends.
10. Source Material: Original Lyrics and Music by Elder Friends.
11. Epilogue: Original Music by Elder Friends.